Woohoo I Did It!!!!

On June 7th at approximately 8:30am I was finally taken back for my microvascular decompression of my trigeminal and geniculate nerves. About 3 hours later my husband and my dad met with Dr. Casey to discuss what he found inside my skull. (According to my husband-nothing-) Dr. Casey found a very large vein sitting on top of my nerve and was pulling other vessels over with it. He had to separate the vein to fully pad the trigeminal nerve and then he put the vein back together. With my geniculate nerve, Dr. Casey wasn’t able to to fully attack this nerve without causing damage. He tried to pad the nerve as best as he could without causing permanent hearing loss. He feels that both nerves were fully padded and I should not have anymore issues.





I was woke up in the OR to make sure that all of my functions were still intact before being take up to my room. Eric and my father met me in my room about an hour later.  I knew that recovery was going to be hard. My body does not like anesthesia. I spent the next 24 plus hours getting sick with the littlest movement. The only plus side to recovery is that I woke up without ANY Trigeminal or Geniculate pain!!!!!!!

The first 2 days were rough.  I didn’t really have any appetite.  The nausea was awful.  Dr. Casey liked to show up at 6am to complete his rounds.  His biggest thing for me was that I needed to get up and walk.  Getting up was hard.  I was short of breath with any large movements.  Just getting to the chair or bathroom was a challenge.  I finally made it around the half of the wing with the help of my nurse and assistant.  Which I have to say were completely wonderful. I can’t say enough about them.

I was able to leave the hospital on Thursday around noon. Experiencing a 6.5-7 hour drive home was not comfortable following the surgery. I was very thankful for all of the recommendations to purchase a travel neck pillow prior. It definitely made the car ride a bit easier.  I was able to sleep for a portion of the car ride home.  There were times it was a bit rocky but overall the ride wasn’t too bad.  I was welcomed home with a beautiful sign, a shirt saying “I survived brain surgery” with the kids hand prints on it and 3 beautiful Gerber Daisies.

Friday (Day 3) consisted of me staying in the recliner with the exception to pick up my medication.  The Pain wasn’t too bad however, the nausea was still awful.  Zofran is my best friend, we meet up about every 6 hours.   Saturday (Day 4) – Sleep is not my friend at the moment; broken and only for a few hours here and there. I woke up in pain that day, my muscles around the incision were tightening down all over my head.  I was able with the help of ibuprofen to get the pain down to a tolerable level that I made it out to my daughter’s skating practice.  I do not recommend getting out of the house for anything at 4 days post op.  I learned my lesson.  I spent Sunday and Monday in bed barely coherent with the nausea plague.  Tuesday (Day 7) I had an appointment with my NP to check out this cough that rattles my brain each time.  Let me just tell you, it hurts when your brain hits your skull.  My lungs sound ok, I just have to continue with deep breathing exercises.  We decided that a muscle relaxer would be good to try and help release some of the tension I experience first thing in the morning and at night.  Wednesday (Day 8)  Last night was the BEST night sleep I have had in a very long time! I was able to sleep all night and I woke up without feeling like I was going to puke with every tightened movement.


It has been a week since my surgery.  Recovery was rocky in the beginning.  I was overzealous in trying to get out and about.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  It has been wonderful not having the pain in my face.



6 thoughts on “Woohoo I Did It!!!!

  1. Happy to here you are doing good, thanks for the update. Besides pain from recovery, I’m happy to here no more pain from the original source. Michelle from kcf.


  2. Wow, you did it, fantastic. I too have the very large vein sitting on my nerve like a big brother squashing its sibling. I am however the words biggest medical phobic. I am terrified. I think you’re amazing!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s